Tuesday, October 28, 2008

We're the Only Ones Searching Enough

Metrorail riders will soon have to open their bags for inspection under a new program announced Monday.

The transit agency has posted signs in Metro stations, warning riders about the planned random bag searches...

"I have come to the conclusion that random inspections work," said John Catoe, Metro's General Manager. "An individual will not know if they're going to be checked if they're intending on being a threat to our system."
Ah, Catoe! Wasn't it your boss who said "I suspect everyone and I suspect no one"?

The "Only Ones" mentality: Coming soon to a police state near you, because the courts have said ignoring the Fourth Amendment is OK--the Founders evidently intended it to be a collective right applicable only to the state. Besides, what have you got to hide?

And remember, they hate us because we're free.

[Via Mack H]

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, well, then -- that seems like a perfect opportunity to highlight how ludicrous this all is.

Mind you, I don't use the metro at all. However, as I understand the law (and as I am sure to confirm), it is perfectly legal to carry on the Metro as long as you're in Virginia. Methinks I might just take a two-stop trip in the near future -- I'll let them search my bag...just prior to boarding the train with a loaded firearm. Instead of calling it "security theater", we should just call it what it truly is: "pathetic".

David Codrea said...

Don't make it known if you do, Anon--WMATA does indeed prohibit weapons, does not consider itself a "locality" to where VA law applies to its prohibition, and the Transit Authority has jurisdicition throughout the system, including metorpolitan DC, VA and MD.

Anonymous said...

This is a bit old, but informative anyways: http://www.virginia1774.org/METROLetter.jpg

Anonymous said...

Wow... And I'm guessing they won't accept it if you politely decline the option of being searched? Plus they accept federal funding for much of their operating budget?

Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit to me.

WMATA does in fact post lots of signs saying no weapons are allowed on metrorail (and I believe metrobus). I don't know how that would shake out in actual practice though.

Anonymous said...

The fact that they're not a locality is irrelevant.

Last section of 15.2-915:
"The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority [emphasis mine] or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility."

-pomofo

David Codrea said...

It's relevant to them, pomofo, and they have guns and the will to use them to impose their will, which should make it relevant to anyone planning on openly defying them.

If it's laws we're going to cite to back our positions, I submit 2A is all we need.

But I fear the federal courts have already demonstrated they consider that irrelevant for Fincher, Olofson...

me said...

well, at least the price of gas is coming down, if ya know what I mean.

Kent McManigal said...

"Only Ones mentality"? Isn't that an oxymoron? "Only Ones reflex" seems more accurate.

chris horton said...

or maybe jusr reflux.....

Anonymous said...

This is why Gore and Obama and all Earth First!-ers want us to use public transportation.
I wouldn't want to be operating such a checkpoint in the very, very near future.