Wednesday, May 27, 2009

This Day in History: May 27

Our greatest difficulty is the want of Clothing; those Troops who marchd without it, and were told that they would be supplied at Pecks Kill are disopointed. The men there, are almost naked, and many of them Lousey and not a second Shirt to their Backs, some have been told that large Quantities were sent to the Northward, and Officers have been as far as Albany in Quest of it, and have finally returned here, with their mouths filled with Complaints. Vast Quantities of Cloathing has gone forward but to where I know not; The Agents tell me that they are obliged to send it on to the Cloather General; but had it been sent on, on the Mens Backs the heavy expence of transportation would have been saved The Colonels have applied till they are discouraged as your Excellency will observe by an enclosed Line from Colo. Putnam,I have sent! I have spoke! I have wrote to the Agents repeatedly; two of their written Answers I take the liberty to enclose,I do not charge them with any Neglect: But your Excellency will see that I have done all in my power unless I had taken the Cloathing by Force. [More]

No comments: