Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Does Thune Amendment Treat a Right Like a Privilege?

My only caution is to not make the mistake of thinking benefits do not also include costs. And to consider that sometimes, the price that will ultimately be required of us--or our posterity--is not always clearly understood up front. [More]
Today's Gun Rights Examiner column ought to irritate a few non-absolutists.

It was really a labor of, if not love, patience, as I've been trying to post on the damned Examiner site for the past five hours and their server has been on the blink. It also hurts because the site itself has been inaccessible for much of the day and I had a couple hot articles out there--but once people get an error message, they're not very likely to come back.

And, of course, it's meant I've produced nothing here on WOG today, and that's likely to just be the breaks--I'm pretty much out of time, although I may be able to fit one or two more posts in, depending on whether or not my GRE column will let me put in code I need to track and network.

Yikes. Anyway, if today's column doesn't infuriate you too much, please tell a friend. I will have earned every page view today several times over.

1 comment:

The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit said...

Thought I'd share my response and check for local feedback:

Here's the neat thing about that bill. Those of you who see it as somehow establishing a precedent for making a right into a privilege (yep, like THAT needs any help happening) are free to continue to carry without a license! Nobody is suggesting or saying that you have to stop. And those of us who carry a gun for stopping some criminals from injuring us and a piece of plastic for stopping others from injuring us - well, our toolkit will just have gotten a little larger.

Win-win!