Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Help Elect A Pro Gun Champion"

...a genuine pro-gun leader named Doug Hoffman.

...Doug Hoffman is a 100% gun rights supporter who will be a leader in the battle to defend the Second Amendment. [More]
Champion.

Leader.

Y'know, words have meaning. If Hoffman is either, you can't tell it by me. What I haven't disclosed is the number of back-and-forths I had with his campaign giving him every chance in the world to define exactly how he would live up to what GOA is giving him credit for. And how artfully every attempt to pin their guy down to specifics has been avoided.

He will neither champion nor lead. And that's a political decision.

I don't like to publicly call GOA out on this. But we've seen enough hollow"staunch defender of the Second Amendment" smoke-up-the-a** come out of NRA. GOA is supposed to be different.

If Hoffman told you he'll fight new laws and work to repeal old ones, give us a quote we can hold him accountable to. I want to know what he's willing to commit to. That's the whole point.

Here's the thing: on a political scale, I could make the case that Hoffman probably would be "better" than his opponents, and encourage gun owners to vote their informed consciences as a result. We're capable of making appropriate fact-based decisions without all the unearned superlatives. Those are insulting to our intelligence, and unworthy of GOA. I expect better from them.

If you expect me to believe he's a champion and a leader for RKBA, I have two words:

Prove it.

5 comments:

zach said...

I think the Fed elections are a waste of time. Need to concentrate at the state and local level. Having them on our side will be better when it comes to time to fight. And one day there will be a fight. Doesn't hurt to have friends at the federal level, but just saying

GunRights4US said...

This is odd behavior for the GOA isn't it?

Very worrisome. Who the hell CAN we gunnies trust?

Ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Talk is cheap. I agree: Prove it!

Mack said...

Well David, I can see both sides.

Still, your statement is worth repeating:

If Hoffman told you he'll fight new laws and work to repeal old ones, give us a quote we can hold him accountable to. I want to know what he's willing to commit to. That's the whole point.

Perhaps Tim Macy can issue his own statement on this specific point.

Jselvy said...

The whole point of "Shall Not Be Infringed" was that we did not have to rely on the whims of snake-in-the-grass fecal feasting politicians.
Voting doesn't work.
I firmly believe that it is time for box number 3