Tuesday, September 07, 2010

"Staying Safe" in the City of Brotherly Love

Many Asian students who walk into South Philadelphia High on Tuesday morning will be carrying something besides books.

In pockets and purses, they'll tote a pamphlet called "Staying Safe." [More]
So, like, are they supposed to make a Millwall brick with it or what?

Gee, what's this hostility against Asians by the race card players about? But what do I know--being a "right wing extremist" automatically makes me the hatriot here.

[Via Brian F]

3 comments:

Defender said...

They can blog about any prejudice they encounter -- IF they're willing to pay the city the $300 for a license.

Sean said...

I suppose a pamphlet slapped over the hole in a sucking chest wound WOULD cause lung reinflation, but who can really know?

Defender said...

In the city near me, there are interstate interchanges where, if you choose east instead of west, you end up in the largest public housing project south of NYC. A mother in a station wagon with a toddler in the back seat did that. The first person she saw to ask for directions said "You don't belong here!" and shot her, a lot.
When two men of a race different from mine broke down on my street, I helped them push their car so it wasn't blocking a neighbor's driveway, offered to call help, and a cold drink and the use of my bathroom. Said one to the other, "See, not ALL neighborhoods are the same."
I was alert but confident. They looked sorta shabby, but so do I when I've been doing yard work or whatever and have to run out for something. My Walther and my Browning, they comfort me.