Friday, December 12, 2014

Duck and Cover

No worries, though. It turns out, as a second PA announcement lets everyone know, this was only a “lockdown drill.” It sure would have been nice of them to tell the kids that, before subjecting them to child abuse via psychological torture. More than ensuring safety, the whole point seems to be to scare the rhymes-with-tap out of them and condition them to view dangerous situations as something adults in immediate authority are just as helpless to do anything about as they are. [More]
My latest JPFO Alert notes terrapin defensive strategies often result in a nice hot bowl of turtle soup.

3 comments:

Cargosquid said...

I'm wondering about my reactions to an unannounced "drill" when I become a teacher.
I'll probably do something that will make sense and get me fired.

CowboyDan said...

The vid that .gov made in Houston a year or so ago ended with a fire extinguisher in the hands of an intended victim.

Fire extinguishers are excellent behavior modification tools. If a blast of powder to the face doesn't do the trick, it's a great clapper for ringing chimes.

Of course, a schoolteacher smacking a cop with a fire extinguisher won't go down well, but it will get their collective atttention.

I'm sure all the cop sites will hear about it.

Mack said...

OMG, David!

That's hilarious. Have you actually seen Atomic Cafe?

A must see movie!