Friday, June 12, 2015

Kindness of Strangers


Several of you have graciously contacted me and asked if there is anything you can do to help in this time of uncertainty following last week's forced interruption in my daily work. I appreciate those of you who have expressed support since then, more than I can adequately express. Most of us have never met and probably never will, so that makes it all the more gratifying to know some have been moved enough to reach out to me.

First, I'm not going to dwell on the falling-out. I've already said my piece. Anything further I say could be dismissed as sour grapes, and there are much more important and interesting things to talk about.

Sorry, and thank you to those who have asked, but I cannot accept donations. That goes to the core of who I am. If I cannot create a sufficient and sustainable market demand for my RKBA reporting and commentary, then it's time to focus on what I can offer.

So to those now asking if there is anything you can do, there's nothing really different I can ask of you now that I haven't been asking all along: If I put out something, and if you get value from it, spread the word and share the link. If I write an article you agree with and have gotten insights from, leave a comment, or let the editor know to keep 'em coming. If I have a media appearance you think may be interesting, tune in --  and tell others. If there are other media outlets -- including "establishment" ones, which is where it could really make a difference to move the discussion to, contact them and tell them so.

The type of stuff I crank out is not something I can do part-time. 12+ hour days have been the norm for me. I have to be either all in or all out in terms of being a daily internet presence. It could be I've had my run except for the monthly GUNS Magazine column and occasional gigs at The Shooter's Log.

It is what it is.

10 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

Allowing people to pay you for a product you deliver to them isn't "accepting donations". Your money doesn't have to come from a corporation- it can come straight from your customers.

Tor said...

On reading this piece I had the same thought as Kent in different words. Why insist on having an establishment middleman taking part of the profits? I've already seen someone mention buying a Guns magazine and writing to tell the editor that you as a writer for the magazine is the reason they bought the subscription. Why not offer people the chance to pay you directly to write and buy a lot more of your writing per dollar spent?

For another angle to consider, even when you wrote for JPFO, that money was ultimately some combination of memberships and donations. Does the layer of indirection and a middleman to take a cut really change the morality?

Claire Wolfe said...

Two things, David.

What Kent said. On the 'Net, donations aren't charity. They're the way that lets everybody become ... well, something like an art patron. If you're uncomfortable accepting donations, so be it. But charity it's not.

Second, you have not "had your run" unless you so choose. The Zelman Partisans would love to have you if we were in a position to afford you. You are one of THE most important gun-rights voices, an outstanding researcher, and a real mensch. Some publisher who can afford you will be getting the best when they hire you.

James said...

I agree with the above comments. Most of what look at on the net I wouldn't pay for but I think you writing truly has value. Chris Muir has a pretty good fund raising system, why not try something like that. As with his work, I wouldn't consider it a donation,but payment for value. Another way to look at it is as a partnership with us providing cash and you providing content.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest patreon? https://www.patreon.com/ This allows those of us who support the "arts" or creators of content we admire to do so in a traditional "Patron of the Arts" manor. Before you shake your head no, please consider that Destin of "Smarter Every day" makes science geek videos and has about 2100 supporters and averages $6400 per video he produces.. the videos are epic, well done and worth whatever his patrons choose to contribute per video.

David, you can't do good work for the PotG if you are distracted by scrambling to pay the bills every month. Your investigative reporting brings tremendous value to the community, we need people of your caliber (Ha!) on our side, focused on the big picture. Please consider it.. I would be happy to support in this manner.

C.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with the above comments . I gladly pay for content I want . It is not a donation in my mind if I get something of benefit from it .

Carl Stevenson said...

I agree. T saddens me that I can't afford to kick in. There is TREMENDOUS value in your research and writing. I hope you will be able to continue s d reevaluate your position on donations.
Think of it as a distributed market. As was said, the funds need not bimited to corporations.

Carl Stevenson said...

I agree completely with Claire!

Ned said...

What Kent and Claire said.

BobF said...

Not support for the downtrodden, not charity, no, more of recognition and support for results of work that help protect myself and my family, help protect my simple right to enjoy a hobby, help protect the very constitutional rights and natural rights others wish to deny me. No, sir, could not possibly be further from charity. Support for the support I and many have already received and continue to receive, yes.