Friday, January 06, 2006

Beware of Moles

They have a list of positions they advocate, including: "AHSA is committed to supporting the right to keep and bear arms, protecting our homes, and preserving our liberties," and "Hunting and sport shooting are American values AHSA will vigorously defend."

Sounds great, huh? But wait, there’s more. They also say "an overwhelming majority of hunters support proposals like background checks to purchase guns, keeping military style assault weapons off our streets and the elimination of cop killer bullets," advocate that "the FBI should be given reasonable access to National Instant Check System (NICS) purchase records" and promote "legislative efforts to regulate .50 caliber BMG sniper rifles in the same manner as machine guns."

Who are these guys--Brady Center Lite?

"Beware of Moles" is my Rights Watch column for the Jan. 2006 issue of GUNS Magazine.

Back when the controversy over the American Hunters and Shooters Association broke, I begged off commenting in detail because I'd already submitted this article to the magazine. It's publication was delayed another month because the editor and I both felt that printing my article about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina had a greater need for immediacy--such as you can get in a monthly magazine...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, they are not Brady Center Lite, the are Benedict Arnold Society To Alleviate Republican Democracy Standards. Otherwise known by their acronym. Which acronym should never be uttered around gentle folk.

E. David Quammen said...

...AHSA is committed to supporting the right to keep and bear arms, protecting our homes, and preserving our liberties...

How do "preserve our liberty" with a bolt action hunting rifle? Especially up against fully automatic weapons such as M16-A4's and HK MP-5's? A little bit of a narrow one-sided view-point, I think.
They obviously haven't read the writings that surround OUR Constitution. It's an easy 'hole' to fall into. I was in that 'hole' myself at one time, right David?
Am more convinced than ever of the need for EDUCATION of the TRUE meaning and INTENT of the Founders.
We the People, should be armed AS the military and Police.
It is the FINAL SAFEGUARD in the 'checks and Balances system laid out by the Framers!

E. David Quammen said...

Much to my dismay, I'd found that I'd placed them on the National Organization page on my site! (Because they had a reference to the 2nd Amendment on their front page. They are NOT to return, unless of course, they have a change of heart.

It is plain to see, or should be, that ANY compromise is OUT of the QUESTION! I don't know about anyone else, but I do NOT want to be a SLAVE! Nor do I desire SLAVERY for my child.

There can be no other logical explanation for them to be taking guns from Americans, other than enslavement!