Saturday, December 23, 2006

Merry Christmas, Wayne Fincher

I'm also sending him some paper, envelopes and stamps--we'll see if they let him keep those.



They didn't.

I can't think of a single legitimate security reason for denying an inmate paper, envelopes and a handful of stamps, and am surprised the ACLU hasn't challenged this practice on First Amendment grounds.

Heartless pricks could have at least passed my letter on to him, to let him know people are thinking of him. I get this back the afternoon of the 22nd, and there's no way to get him a new message by Christmas to assure him he's not been abandoned. Here's what my letter said:

Dec. 8, 2006

Dear Mr. Fincher,

I hope this finds you strong. I just wanted to write and let you know that you have not been forgotten. I have included copies of what I have been posting on my blog, The War on Guns, since learning of your persecution.

Note that some of these are merely links to other sites, which I have not pasted into this letter—in those cases, just be aware that others are writing about you as well.

I don’t know if they will let you keep such things, but I am enclosing a few extra sheets of paper, envelopes and stamps for your use in case they do.

You will be in my prayers, and in the prayers of others.

Respectfully,

David Codrea
I'll try again, this time without any extras.

Related Posts

7 comments:

me said...

You're kidding right?

Would a small paperback book with LOTS of blank pages count as paper?

maybe a large stamp concealing a smaller stamp underneath it?

You think the ACLU even knows about this? maybe drop them a line too.

E. David Quammen said...

That is how communists/fascists work - psychological warfare. Demoralize the perceived enemy.....

They shall pay for their treachory one day.....

Anonymous said...

Not that I agree with the rules on denying paper and envelopes, but you'd be shocked at the concoctions inmates can create from simple everyday items. They can turn just about anything into a weapon.

David Codrea said...

Understood, Jason M, but if you see the form letter graphic I posted, these items are available from their commisary. So it seems more of a "company store" issue than a safety of the jailers one...

Anonymous said...

A) Send items to his attorney "care of" they probably would come under client attny priveledg.
B) This is a "punishment" for someone who hasn't even had a trial yet. guess this is the state of the union n0ow..

Anonymous said...

Notice that phone cards are not compatible with "their" system. One of the greatest ripoffs ever inflicted on inmates, the jail/prison contracts out for a separate phone system that typically charges a dollar or more per minute and usually charges back to friends and family of the inmate. Prison gets a kickback on every call made, so of course there is no incentive to change.

GunGeek said...

I noticed it also said no "Internet news articles", so your blog copies might not get through, either.

Good luck to you.