Monday, February 05, 2007

Swabbing Away at Freedom

The Justice Department is completing rules to allow the collection of DNA from most people arrested or detained by federal authorities, a vast expansion of DNA gathering...The amendment permits DNA collecting from anyone under criminal arrest by federal authorities...
Not "convicted," mind you...

Y'know, I've been "detained" by federal guards at Border Patrol checkpoints (that are a hundred miles from the border!) asking me questions before permitting me to drive on. I've been "detained" by TSA employees at airports...

Just relying on the language of this article, I could see swabbing checkpoints. And why limit it to the feds? I know my local "Only Ones" need all the tools we can give them...

I know--in today's era of heightened Homeland Security, where Lite-Brite Mooninites could show up on any corner to imperil us all, we need to make some personal sacrifices.

Maybe we could make a DNA check an integral part of clearing gun purchases! Who could possibly be against that common sense measure for the children, especially if it saves one life?

The scary thing is, government feels confident enough to publicly propose this stuff.

And remember, our enemies hate us because we're free.

3 comments:

E. David Quammen said...

"Amendment IV"

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

What purpose is a Constitution, if they can just arbitrarily do as they please?

Anonymous said...

I can't stop them, but I can damn sure make the price higher than the thug doing it was willing to pay. And I would, however long and whatever form it took.

me said...

they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR DNA!

EDQ, it's a living constitution...with a pillow firmly pressed over it's face these days.