Sunday, August 12, 2007

New Trial Ordered for Kwan

Per Len Savage:

Found buried in todays edition of Seattle Times...
Don't think you got redirected to the wrong page if the headline you see involves a decapitated snake (and why that guy didn't just call in the Noble, OK PD for professional snake dispatching is beyond me). No, you need to scroll down through "Local News" to the next story to find:
A federal judge has granted a new trial to Albert K. Kwan, a Bellevue gun collector who was found guilty of illegally possessing a short-barrel rifle after a three-day jury trial in June.
Imagine that: the jury wasn't told parts need to be connected to make a whole. And while I see nothing about Kwan's acquittal on machine gun possession charges, I do see plenty of innuendo suggesting he's a shady character somehow involved in murder--that and a liar.

That goes with being an "authorized journalist," I guess. But funny--when Kwan was convicted, they had no problem reporting it not once, but twice. And again with all that nasty innuendo.

And what has Mr. Kwan been evidently wrongfully convicted of?

Investigators who searched his home...seized several weapons, including...a Heckler and Koch pistol that could be attached to a shoulder stock, making it a short-barreled rifle.
If that's all it takes, I might be guilty, too. I could take the stock off one of my rifles. I'm sure I have some bolts and a clamp somewhere in the garage I could use to attach it to one of my pistols--it wouldn't be very pretty, and I wouldn't want to use something so poorly modified, but it would certainly seem to meet the government litmus test.

I guess a government with unlimited resources can afford to throw them at anyone it sets its mind to. And if you anger the beast, it will set its mind to bringing you down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could take everything in both gun safes and make them all illegal in less than an afternoon. This is why the NFA is stupid and always has been. Hell, back when it was legal, one of my gunsmithing instructors made a STEN with purely hand tools. He had a wager with a student as to that he could do it faster with hand tools than the student could with all the machine tools he wanted starting from the same parts kits. He won.

No worries, ATF stalkers, taxes were paid and builds were approved. No doubt they are still in the hands of an appreciative collector.

I've got a few rifles with interchangable parts and, if I swapped the parts around wrong, some would be SBRs by statute. That's why they aren't assembled that way and won't be. Potential felony, I'm sure...

Boot the bozos.

Anonymous said...

We may all be ATF stalkers some day.......
When the tree of LIBERTY needs watering with the blood of patriots.

Anonymous said...

You left out a rather improtant point.

The reason that he had a potentially "illegal" combination of parts is as a direct result of BATFE action.

He had a registered and fully legal H&K full auto verion of that same weapon, which came *with* the stock. BATFE took the weapon, and, when offered the stock, said, in essence, "No, we don't need that, you keep it."

They then return and say,"Gotcha!"