Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Hunters an Endangered Species?

Hunters remain a powerful force in American society, as evidenced by the presidential candidates who routinely pay them homage, but their ranks are shrinking dramatically and wildlife agencies worry increasingly about the loss of sorely needed license-fee revenue.
This was sent to me by WoG Correspondent and Red's cap donor "Sam," who satirically asks "Since the RTKBA is only about hunting, if the number of hunters goes to '0', does this mean we no longer have a need for the 2nd amendment?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been close to 15 years since I went hunting. I can still remember going out as a teen with my brother and step-dad, up the mountain, in search of a elk.

Now I have some friends who convinced me to get back into it. The sport is amazing, the exercise is great, and the meat is delicious. But the one thin that caught me off guard was exactly how much it costs to go hunting.

Now I admit, part of my problem is that I live on the Washington side of the border and drive next door to Idaho. The non-resident licenses and tags are outrageous in price. Throw in the weapons, ammo, clothings, knifes, different assortment of gear, a decent rig, etc... and you've got yourself a pretty good chuck of money invested into your sport.

Maybe folks are just choosing not to spend that much money? Just a thought. It could be an assortment of different things including a cultural paradigm shift away from hunting. Or maybe people just don't have the time. Or maybe the places to hunt are getting further and further away from where we live. Who knows.

My best guess is that the decrease in hunters has to do with global warming. It's too hot to meander around the woods. Or maybe the heat is making the women folk a little more agitated, thus naturally increasing the complaining levels, leaving men too exhausted and afraid to leave home.

Things to make you go hhmmmm....