Monday, October 01, 2007

Virtual Pro-RKBA "Burma-Shave" Signs

Those at least as old as me will recall the "Burma-Shave" ad campaign--they'd post signs along the side of the road, each one presenting the line of a poem--so that motorists driving by would get the complete message only after they drove to each sign. Corny rhyming aside, it really was clever, as it had consumers making a special effort to look for the next piece of the message.

Some years back, the Champaign County Rifle Association resurrected the idea, and began placing pro-gun signs along the side of the road--an effort that has delighted many of us, and enraged some of the antis to the point of vandalism.

I've been toying with the idea of posting "virtual Burma-Shave signs" alongside the "information superhighway," and the following is one potential way to do it. I'm sure many of you are not only better poets than I'll ever be, but it won't take much to slap me silly at graphics presentation--so if anyone wants to take this idea and run with it, I think it'd be great to see all the different creative approaches--let me know yours and I'll link to it--matter of fact, if enough want to play, next Monday I can do a "Burma-Shave RKBA Carnival," maybe even come up with some sort of nominal prize for the winner. At the very least, I have a spare, never-been-worn Red's cap.

Now after all this build-up watch the slideshow not work.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty good. Can I embed it on my blog?

I wish I was that creative.

David Codrea said...

You bet--all the code is at the slide.com links in the graphic. Why not try creating and embedding your own? Shoot, if I can do it, from what I've seen, you have ten times the computer savvy I do.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the complement but the fact is, I may have the technical ability but not the artistic ability.

AlanDP said...

Where did you get all the blank billboard pix?

David Codrea said...

They weren't blank. I copied billboards off the internet and just pasted over them.