Monday, January 14, 2008

A Faulty Conclusion?

The following is the unedited and complete response of Jay Smith, President of Cox Newspapers, to my Open Letter. I present it here with no further personal comment and invite you to draw your own conclusion:

Mr. Codrea: I have read the editorial and did not draw the same conclusions you drew. Gun control is a heated political issue. Organizations opposed to gun control have done a better job, over time, of packaging and presenting their arguments in the political arena than have those who support gun control. The editorial, while clearly supportive of gun-control legislation, urged gun-control advocates to become equally effective in making their political case.

In no way should a reader infer that this means The Dayton Daily News will skew its reporting to reflect that view. I believe you have drawn a faulty conclusion. I am copying Dayton Daily News Editor Kevin Riley and the newspaper's publisher, Doug Franklin, in hopes that you will continue your discussion with them.

The newspaper, I am sure, will be open to presenting views, such as yours, which take issue with the editorial. I appreciate your concern and your willingness to write to me. Sincerely, Jay Smith

7 comments:

Nicki said...

The newspaper is open to presenting views such as yours? Yeah, right. And rabid monkeys might fly out of my ass on national television.

Kent McManigal said...

Makes me wanna puke. But of course he would say such a thing. He can't see that this is wrong as it follows his social-engineering dreams.

MadRocketScientist said...

and news outlets are wondering why they are losing credibility and can not attract new readership

Stan said...

He has a point, but it does suggest things about his paper.

From a lone columnist in the opinion section, I would understand. But coming off as the view of the paper, given the Machiavellian language, it hardly serves their credibility.

Mike said...

So logical, reasoned arguments are just "better packaging" now, huh?

InFerroVeritas said...

I spoke with the editorial writer, after pointing out that they seemed to have misquoted my article posted at Buckeye, they agreed to let me pen an opposing op-ed. We will see if they publish it.

InFerroVeritas said...

Looks like they will publish my opposing op-ed on Saturday the 18th.....without much trimming.