Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Day at the Polls


Well, I went out yesterday to do my civic duty.

And then I ran into this obscenity on the door of my polling place.



Hmmm...exercise my right to protect myself from political predators or from the more up close and honest kind.

Leave myself defenseless or don't vote.

Or don't leave myself defenseless, vote anyway, and commit a crime.

That's a hell of a choice to impose on a free man who isn't hurting anyone, don't you think?

What a dilemma that was.

Anyway, I only voted for president and against the transit tax hike. I emailed my congressman and told him a measly B- from GOA showed him unworthy of my support, so we'll see if he improves by November. The lesser offices required too much time to try and ascertain their liberty position, and I'd think anyone who deserves to lead would make that the first thing you'd find out when looking them up.

Maybe come November, I'll be in a better position to expand my choices.

I wonder if that sign will still be there?

9 comments:

Nicki said...

David, I wanted to vote in Virginia, but got stuck in that ice storm and didn't make it to the polls in time, as it took me more than 3 hours to get back from work that night.

I think it's probably for the best, as it would have just pissed me off to the point where I would have taken my frustration out on the Diebold machine!

chris horton said...

Screw that dam sign. Here in Pa we're allowed to carry at the ballot box, unless it's in a Courthouse. Which is the only place CCW MEANS NOTHING.

This was challenged here recently. The gentleman was victorious in the end. Although he lost his CCW and had to go to Court to get it back.


All because those here that should know the law...DIDN'T!!...

Anonymous said...

David,

Unless you carry a Beretta 92, you're in the clear.

Anonymous said...

I voted for Ron Paul yesterday, he ended up with 5.05% in Texas (unofficial count currently).

Anonymous said...

tjh beat me to it.

Anonymous said...

That sign may not have had the force of law. Many places put them up hoping to deny rights to those who don't know the signs are only an expression of preference and not legally binding.

If you haven't looked it up, you might want to do so. Oh, and share with us.

David Codrea said...

Thick today. Beretta 92 reference went right over my head.

SA, not only do signs have force of law, the state also expects one to get a permit. So for some, that could be a real double whammy.

I keep thinking back to my friend in CA who couldn't have gotten a permit if he wanted one, and how he defended himself and his family...no shots fired, what he presented was sufficient...and he couldn't report it to the police because they'd have hauled him off...

me said...

I have to vote in a school. No metal detectors, yet, but plenty of signs, no guns, no free speech, no smoking, no nothing not government approved, blah blah blah.... There were at least 6 different "NO" signs right inside the doors on the wall...which I found to be a bit amusing. If you can;t do those things inside shouldn't the signs be placed somewhere visible on the OUTSIDE? Oh well.

Anyway, I'm glad to be a member of the 5% paying attention here in Ohio and the 5-10% nationwide.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that David. I am happy for your friend and as I have said before they don't get a vote when it comes to my rights.

That not only is a hill I am willing to die, but more importantly from "their" point of view, I am also willing to kill on that hill.

I haven't carried in years, but when I did, I didn't ask permission and if I decide to again, I will not ask then either.

And I will not peacefully submit, the law be damned. It is wrong and I am qualified to say so.