Thursday, May 01, 2008

Commonsense Baby-Stepping DSH*

...mixing deadly weapons with whiskey in a bar...

...stash a loaded weapon in the glove box of the car...

...guns at shows — those open-air bazaars at which all sorts of weaponry is for sale to buyers who walk in off the street...

...the rule of guns...
Y'know, if I was going to try and convince an audience that what I was proposing was "commonsense" and a "baby step," I'd try to moderate the zealotry--or at least take some hormones to rebalance my body chemistry.

Do you imagine looking at this editorial writer's eyes while he was typing this would be anything but unsettling in a really creepy way?

* A variation on the term

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that if I had seen his eyes, I'd have him involuntarily committed. Wouldn't want HIM to own a gun, you know!

Anonymous said...

I see that the editorial writer values HIS privacy enough to keep his name off his drivel.
I imagine that if one were to look back far enough in that newspaper's history, there would be editorials warning about the end of the world as we know it if schools were integrated, if blacks were allowed to vote, if WOMEN were allowed to vote ("only men of proven means should be able to influence politics")...
... and that that Hitler guy will go away and shut up if we let him have the Sudetenland.
I wonder whether insulting half of one's readers is a good business move. Probably not. Nationwide, newspapers are scrambling to KEEP readers, yet here we have journalistic harakiri.

Anonymous said...

Just where can I find one of "those open-air bazaars at which all sorts of weaponry is for sale to buyers who walk in off the street" ? Well, outside of Africa or the Balkan region.

Last gun show I went to did not have ANY Ma Deuces, RPGs, LAW rockets, miniguns etc... In fact the few fully automatic weapons I saw were prohibitively expensive and required all sorts of government intrusions before you can pay your transfer tax in addition to the cost of the weapon and the sales tax.