Sunday, May 04, 2008

GUNS Magazine: May 1958

I have just read your article on "Why Not a Pro-Gun Law." I want you to know that this is the best I have ever read on the subject of firearms regulations. I would like to have at least 50 reprints as I truly believe this subject needs to he brought to the public eye. I am a life member of the National Rifle Association and the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore. If we had people such as yourself in our state and federal legislatures, our job as gun-lovers would be a lot easier. Please see if the Readers Digest and Saturday Evening Post will run your article. I would like to see it in our Baltimore papers. This machine gun law has a personal interest to me as I have longed for a commercial model 1928 Thompson sub-machine gun, but can't afford the $200.00 tax. Please let me know how I can help to further the cause.

Just wait another 28 years for the "Firearms Owners' Protection Act" if you think $200 is steep.

The May 1958 issue of GUNS Magazine is now online. Be sure and read the cover story, "Red Guns in the Desert," for a perspective on the region and conflict from half a century ago. Also check out the competition and camaraderie between former enemies in "A Modern GI-German Schutzenfest," and see how 50 years ago you could "Make Your Hunt Deductible" (I wonder if you still could?)

All this plus all the standard hunting/shooting/collecting and technology features, and, of course, the classic ads and prices of the era.

Oh, and one more thing stood out, at least for me. I want one. A Treeby Chain Gun, that is (See pg. 38):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about that 20mm Solothurn on page 6. Those were the days!