Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What Ken Allows

Harris County District Attorney Ken Magidson has asked the state's top lawyer if he can legally stop his assistants from taking handguns into courtrooms despite a new law removing most restrictions on where prosecutors with gun licenses can carry their weapons.
I've worked many jobs over the years. I've never wanted one badly enough that I would trade in my self-respect for it. You can get another job. Once you hand in your dignity, especially if you allow yourself to be cowed into making a habit of it, it's almost impossible to get it back.

It's my permanent eyes staring back at me in the mirror, not my temporary employer's. My sons depend on me to show them how to be men. My greatest fear is that I'll let them down on that, and that's my greatest motivator not to.

Once things cross the line from professional to personal, I take it that way and react accordingly. I have been known to tell bosses throwing tantrums that their tone doesn't work with me--that they'd better go home and practice it on their dog some more until they get it right.

What could be more personal than being told by some arrogant usurper that I must come to him for permission to be a man?

Why anyone would tell this control freak anything other than the numerous ways he can go stuff himself is beyond me. But think about how dangerous broken prosecutors working for him on such a leash would be to those they had power over.

Offhand, I'd say we're witnessing a manifestation of fear.

They say most bullies are picked on themselves. It's telling how many gravitate toward government jobs.

Oh, and one other thing, Magidson: You aren't the employer. But representing yourself that way is at least consistent with the presumptuous arrogance with which you define yourself.

[Via Lane]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My state also has this law. Prosecutors make enemies, they tell us, so they need round-the-clock self-defense.
I can't think of ANYONE who doesn't. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong shoes, wrong pigmentation, wrong car, and you're a memory to your family and another funny story to your killer.
A DEFENSE lawyer standing within a foot of the judge's bench was walloped by his client as sentence was pronounced because he thought he did a lousy job. Before bailiffs could intervene, he inflicted enough damage to send the lawyer to the emergency room.
This Maggotson guy apparently wants that for his staff.
And the Mexican attorney general whose office doors are controlled by implanted microchips... indeed, how bad do you want that job?

Anonymous said...

I'm on the other side of the criminal docket...I'd like to have mine too...