Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dispatches from the Front

We were talking yesterday about the Palm Pistol, and I exchanged a few emails with Matthew Carmel. He made a point I think it's important to consider, something I'm sensitive to, having lived in California all those years:

I also wanted to mention my surprise concerning peoples reaction when observing I am located in NJ. I live in this state, where else should my ideas come from? As much as I dislike the anti-gun attitudes here, it is not a foreign country. The anti-gun states are the front line in the battlefield for defending the Second Amendment. It would preaching to the choir if I lived in Texas. It is much more important, like George Patton, to bring the fight to your enemies.

6 comments:

tom said...

Choir down here in Texas, discounting the abortion called Austin, done been preached to. Maybe we should send out missionaries like the Southern Baptists do to communist countries? Be the same principle.

Anonymous said...

Patton didn't become a citizen of France in order to fight there. And when the fight was done, he came home.

I can do a lot more to educate people about their right to self defense living in a state where my right is at least partly recognized and I'm not constantly in danger of being thrown in jail for carrying my sidearm openly.

NJ needs a lot of missionaries, this is true (as do many other states), but we are not all called to that field. God bless Matthew if he is so called. I'm glad that's not the only way to take the fight to the front.

David Codrea said...

The point is not to disparage those on the front lines in hostile territory.

I can't tell you how many times we'd be fighting like mad in CA and then to see some forum warrior post how he'd like us to fall into the ocean just always rubbed me the wrong way.

If the men on the battlements fall there, the fight will spread.

Anonymous said...

No argument there, David. I lived in Calif. for 58 years! I worked hard for liberty most of those years... and moved to Wyoming when I realized I hadn't made any real progress in all that time.

We all have to pick our fights and do our best. :)

Mike Gallo said...

Not to pick at nits, mamaliberty, but Patton never came home after fighting in France...

Sendarius said...

mike gallo:

Re: Patton never came home after fighting in France.

Wikipedia (and other sources) beg to differ: "Patton was a senior commander of the new tank corp and saw action in France IN WORLD WAR ONE."