Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gun Rights Examiner

Now it’s time for a little shameless exploitation of my new hosts. I'd like to extend an invitation to Cleveland area gun rights activists: we have a unique and unprecedented opportunity here, courtesy of Examiner.com, to employ their resources and reach to get our message heard outside "the choir." Let's use it. If you know of a story that can help promote the cause, send me the link as a tip. If you're part of a gun rights group that is fighting a particular battle, supporting or opposing a particular candidate or measure this area is affected by, or if you have an event coming up, let me know about it. If you're an area gun blogger, by all means keep me apprised of work you're doing that Northeast Ohioans would be interested in. Just email me, dcodrea@hotmail.com and put EXAMINER in the subject.

Let's not make this MY Examiner page--let's make this OUR Examiner page. That also means if we post something here that will be of interest to your gun-owning friends and club members that you help spread the word through your email contacts, on gun boards, etc. And by all means leave comments. If the folks running this show see this topic generates interest, they'll be more likely to encourage more of it throughout their considerable media network. And before I forget, I also need to extend an invitation to a very important segment of Examiner readers--those horrified and angered by all of this, and who think the problem is not enough gun control.
Examiner.com has invited me to be their Cleveland "Gun Rights Examiner"--a category they didn't have until I pitched it.

This represents not just a local opportunity, but if it's successful, they'll surely be receptive to expanding the topic to other markets.

Back when I participated in The New York Times' Virginia Tech panel, I wrote that if the "mainstream media" sees the topic generates a lot of interest, friendly or hostile, they'll give us more opportunities to use their megaphone.

This is such an opportunity. Just look at the top dog of the whole shebang--and he's a "conservative," which beats the alternative. This is part of an evolving business model for "traditional media"--an adaptation intended to expand its market reach. And it looks like they know what they're doing. Now that they've made a bit of room for RKBA "diversity" in the experiment, it would be foolish squandering not to seize the brass ring.

I don't ask much from WarOnGuns regulars--basically I limit myself to asking you to join me in an occasional letter or email, or to support something I myself am supporting. I'm asking you now to help me spread the word on this--not just now at the launch of this new venture, but as you can on an occasional basis going forward. I won't presume to suggest how, just anything...

Please help me to maximize this opportunity. As I said in my first post, "Let's not make this MY Examiner page--let's make this OUR Examiner page."

5 comments:

The_Chef said...

Yeah but how are conservatives going to treat us anarcho-capitalists/minarchists.

Honestly, I have as much, if not more, problem conversing with conservatives as I do with those in the left-wing loony bin.

Anonymous said...

I've bookmarked the new site (need a way to bookmark my "favorite" bookmarks...)and I'll try to visit regularly. How often will you be adding to that, David? Will you post a reminder when you do?

What I'd be interested in finding out is just how you managed to get them to consider this. It's marvelous, and I'd like to see others do the same in other areas. Who volunteers to take Chicago? [grin]

In a way it's too bad for this to be mostly about one small area, but maybe a nationwide, syndicated effort can grow out of it.

More power to you, David. I'm proud to know you. :)

David Codrea said...

How have I treated you so far, Chef?

MML: I will definitely post updates with links here at WoG--I may do a post per day on weekdays only. As for the potential for going national, that will entirely depend on whether or not this succeeds in a regional market and they are convinced of its potential. That's why I'm doing this appeal--if people don't participate, it won't be worth their while or mine.

The_Chef said...

You David have been fine, some of your readers on the other hand...

David Codrea said...

Perhaps...but in the interests of staying on topic, please let's focus on this new Examiner opportunity and how we can use it to spread the RKBA message outside the choir. Assuming WoG regulars wish to help me plant the seed, thresh the wheat, mill the flour...