Friday, April 17, 2009

How'd You Like a Smoldering Malpractice Suit?

My (rather conservative) British father-in-law was visiting recently around the time that four Oakland police officers were killed by gunfire. Watching the news coverage, he said to me, "I just don't understand America's obsession with guns." I considered telling him about the Wild West of yesteryear and John Wayne and Clint Eastwood and of the perceived sanctity of the Second Amendment. But, then I thought about it as a father and as a physician and replied simply, "I don't either."
I left this comment here:
Hey, Doc--I've been getting this whining noise under the hood of my car followed by a series of muffled thumps. The engine light comes on after about 5 minutes and the temperature gauge needle pegs into the upper range.

What do you think it is?

What? That's outside your area of expertise, certification, training...?

You have credentials on giving out advice on guns, right? So if a patient follows your advice and disarms, and then gets hurt or killed, your malpractice insurance will cover you because you did everything according to your training, right?

And you'll sign a qualification and liability form attesting to this?

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/downloads/gund...

Doc...?
Feel free to leave a comment of your own.

1 comment:

j said...

To paraphrase Stephen the Irish lad from Braveheart - what a fookin' pair of imbeciles! My only thought would have been - say, Father In law, I know that in Englandistan these days, a bloke can't own a firearm for love nor money... so, would you say that the murder rate there is about zero?
Silly little minds from a silly little nation that has assisted in its own destruction by enslaving its citizens, castrating its male populace, and importing the greatest concentration of muslim scum to be scoured off the third-world toilet. Yep - THAT's showing those Yanks how!