Tuesday, April 21, 2009

This Day in History: April 21

The Enemy, unprovided with Horses and Carriages or any means of moving by land, cannot go off the Island and penetrate the Country, and I should imagine that it would not require any great number, properly Stationed, to prevent their ravaging the Coast. [More]
Wrap your mind around that. Washington regarded those who insisted--with force--that they were his lawful government--and fellow countrymen who sided with them--as "The Enemy."

It's a hell of a thing to drive a good man to consider, don't you think? How much abuse and disregard for his rights should one have to suffer before he does? That seems to be the question we're wrestling with, isn't it?

2 comments:

Sean said...

Not wrestling anymore, Boss, just waiting for the stupids to make their next stupid move. I quit regarding the political scene with anything but a juandiced eye, long ago. They've dug a hole so deep, you'd get the bends going down to it.

bob r said...

"My" government has been my enemy for quite a long while now (decades). That some of what they do is to my benefit does not change their status. Mostly I avoid contact with them as much as possible; I expect the day to come when passive resistance will have to be set aside as not having even the marginal utility it has now.