Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This Day in History: May 19

The Friends of Peter Pickman Frye (who is under Sentence to be Shott for Desertion) have earnestly requested a Suspension of Execution, untill they can prefer a petition to the Honble Congress and receive their Determination thereon. As this request was backed by some Gentlemen of distinction I conceived it to be my Duty to indulge them with Time to present their Petition and have suspended his Executiong to the 12th of June next. His Friends beg a pardon, the public call for his Execution; The former say he is Insane, the latter that he is more Knave than Fool. For my own part I neither ask for a pardon, or Execution, but shall strictly execute the pleasure of Congress. [More]

This one intrigued me enough to do a further search. It looks like after a series of stays of execution, Frye was finally pardoned due to "unsound mind."

1 comment:

jon said...

For my own part I neither ask for a pardon, or Execution, but shall strictly execute the pleasure of Congress.

"just following orders, sir."