Friday, June 05, 2009

The Real Reason Texas Campus Carry Failed

Republican legislators in the Texas House of Representatives were so hell-bent on passing this repressive and useless "Voter ID" law that they scuttled their own time-honored rules of procedure just so they could keep Democrats from blocking a vote on the Voter ID bill. The result was a five-day filibuster on the House floor, courtesy of Democratic legislators, that stretched over Memorial Day weekend. When the dust settled, Voter ID was dead, but so were hundreds of other bills which were simply tossed aside by House Republicans in a vain effort to save Voter ID. One of those bills thrown on the funeral pyre was the campus concealed-carry bill, which had already passed the Texas Senate and was simply awaiting a vote in the House. [More]
So the Brady propaganda is just that.

Speaking of which, this PR by the antis really reads like Marxist propaganda--it just has that Commiespeak air about it. I keep expecting something about "heroes of the glorious revolution." Andy Pelosi. Now there's a self-made man we can all respect.

And I read another article some damn where that I can't find now--it actually referred to the Virginia Tech survivors as "experts" we should heed to realize being disarmed is the safest way to encounter an armed mass-murderer.

10 comments:

LUCKY said...

Happily I just learned that I am allowed to carry a firearm on my campus. :D

Crotalus said...

David, that piece from Fox Business looks as though it was meant to be a news article, but it's so blatantly biased that it comes across as an editorial.

These knuckleheads sure are funny, the way they spin the loss of this bill. As you pointed out, it was nothing more than collateral damage. The Legislature wasn't even thinking about it as they wrangled over the Voter ID bill. Yet these clowns act as if it was the central bill to be defeated, and the think they were instrumental in its demise! Da, Komrade; much "Glorious Revolution" propaganda here!

David Codrea said...

Me too, Lucky. I just can't tell anyone.

Crotalus, that was a press release (I said "PR" in the link)--the Fox business site just picked it up for content-- a lot of news sites do because it gives them another page view for advertisers. But whenever you see "PR Newswire" or the like, it is a staged release.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is collateral damage, but it could have been avoided by withdrawal of the Voter ID bill.
It would be interesting to see a list of the other bills that were not voted on because of the five day fillibuster.

Northwest Minuteman said...

great to find another gun-loving, freedoms-loving regular American.

www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

Crotalus said...

Got it, David.

Jack said...

So David, explain to me how the voter I.D. bill was repressive? How is it repressive to ask someone to show they are a citizen of this country before they cast a vote. It just shows me how far the democrat party has fallen. They are race hustlers and pimps who have no shame and will do anything to stay in power. They are the ones who are selling our country down the river, be pissed at them, not the Republicans. Both bill will be back.

David Codrea said...

Jack, that is a quote from the article I linked to that consolidates its essence, not my thoughts. I won't argue with you--my point was showing it wasn't due to any Brady magic that the bill failed.

I've linked to IIA Democrats before and explained I have some big differences with them. I think they should answer your question. And in retrospect, I could have put in some kind of disclaimer.

Jack said...

Oh, o.k. I should have read the link before blathering, my mistake, I apologize. The Austin American-Statesman, that vile, bilious rag hanging out of the fanny of pompous democrats. Too funny.

Daniel (Amendment II Democrats) said...

Daniel here...

Didn't want this to turn into a discussion on the pros and cons of Voter ID, but I do serve as an election judge down here in Dallas. It falls on my shoulders to watch for any voter irregularities in my neighborhood, and when I find any problems (like non-citizen voters or voters who have multiple registration cards), I report them to the county elections office and let them take it from there. On the other hand, I do try to work with legitimate voters in my precinct and let them know of any discrepancies with their registration so it won't cause them problems on Election Day. That's a service I provide to Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, and everyone else who takes the time to show up and vote. That said, I've even had some pro-Voter ID Democrats tell me that if all election judges did this, Voter ID might not even be an issue in Texas.