Friday, November 13, 2009

We're the Only Ones "Breath of Fresh Air" Enough

Offenders can expect little sympathy from Master Sgt. Isaiah Vega of the Illinois State Police.

“Driving is a privilege, and drivers should take every precaution,” he said. Hanging anything from the rear-view-mirror “could be a dangerous if not deadly error,” Vega said. [More]
Isaiah said it, I believe it, that settles it. How wonderful we have someone authorized to tell us what our rights are. Let's hope this attitude never results in "little sympathy" for him.

And lest you think the term "Only Ones" applies only to humans, take heart--the ISP has expanded the concept to include state-approved windshield obstructions:
The only exceptions are government-issued items such as I-PASS boxes and parking stickers.
Funny. If this is coming from the ISP, I wonder why I don't see an exception to hang a rat-tailed comb from the mirror...?

[Via Harvey]

5 comments:

zach said...

Driving is more of a right than gun ownership, I would say. And gun ownership is an absolute right.

Mike W said...

O/T but those air fresheners would make great gifts to the prisoners at Guantanamo or sending several million to the court house in NY city for the upcoming trial of the 9/11 plotters.

Kent McManigal said...

Driving is a right, not a privilege. Being an "Only One"; now that's a privilege- one that should be revoked!

Sean said...

Driving is a First Amendment Right. "to assemble". Anywhere you go, you either will, or may encounter other people. Peaceful assembly. You also will most likely talk, making it a free speech right.

straightarrow said...

If I had no driver's license I would still drive. It is my right to travel freely, that mean at my discretion as to how and where.

I have a license because it is a requirement for liability insurance, which I view as my responsibility to others. But if I was denied a license I would drive. Obviously I would drive without insurance, but at that point it would be on the state's responsibility, for I would have no moral obligations at that point, them having been assumed by the state. And no, it wouldn't be my fault if the state did not live up to its obligations.