Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Praxis: Extra Socks

From time to time I post updates from The Survivalist and I note Mike and WRSA give gear and prep tips on occasion, so I'd like to pass on something shared with me by my Dad, who was a Marine on Guam, a tip passed on to him from his older brother who was a Marine on Guadalcanal:

Cram a couple extra pairs of socks in with your gear.

I know it's a small thing, but those are what we often overlook, and it can be the little things that get you. Think for want of a nail.

And these guys knew what they were talking about.

If you'd like to virtually experience a simulation of what they survived, with the caveat that there was no director to yell "Cut!" so everyone could line up at the catering tent or check their Droids, catch HBO's "The Pacific."

6 comments:

patriot_ohio said...

Bass Pro sells a very good outdoor sock called Redhead. I couldn't believe they had a lifetime warranty on this sock, but I got four pair and have been wearing them for the last six months without any sign of serious wear or damage. They are gray wool with an absorbent inner lining, much better than other high priced gray socks.

I swear I don't work for Bass Pro, have no other allegiance to them except being impressed with their Lifetime Warrantied Socks.

I was a Marine too, you never neglect your feet because they are the first thing to go in bad weather.

G
III

parabarbarian said...

Absolutely!

I've lost count of the men I've met who still have problems with their feet from the war in Viet Nam or WW II.

Concerned American said...

Redhead socks are definitive.

All seasons, multi days per pair.

Don't leave home w/o them.

Dedicated_Dad said...

MAJOR point: WOOL!!

Cotton does not insulate when it is wet, all it does is hold the wet against your skin -- which is *BAD*!

Wool OTOH insulates wet or dry, and will wick water away whenever such is possible.

Combine them with a sock-liner made of polypropylene or silk and you've got the best of all worlds!

While I'm at it, a sheet of mole-skin can also be a life-saver. Treat "hot spots" when you first feel them so they don't become blisters. I've even used duck-tape ("100 MPH Tape) for the same purpose.

With these two tips you'll have infinitely better feet, which means a better soldier!

HTH...

DD

Dedicated_Dad said...

PS: I second the "Red-head" recommendations -- they are AWESOME!

DD

Will said...

For those who are allergic to wool, try socks made of Acrylic, such as the brand "Wigwam" They are moisture wicking type. They keep your feet comfortable even when your boots are wet.