Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A 2010 Eloi Award Finalist

New East Palo Alto license plate readers will run plates through crime databases [More]
Perhaps the Chamber of Commerce would like to hear why you will not be coming to East Palo Alto--not that you need this as an excuse.

But it's been done before:
"I'm all for it," said Tiburon resident Dorothy Larson. "I don't have any paranoia about (police) knowing when I'm coming and going. I don't know why
anybody would object to it."
Your cattle car awaits, cud-chewer.

4 comments:

Defender said...

Looks like a spotlight but there are two little lenses in the center.
I wonder if there's an upgrade so they can FART on us at the same time. FAcial Recognition Technology.
Even if you don't play paintball, there are reasons to own a paintball gun.

Mack said...

"I don't know why
anybody would object to it."

Sheeple talk. Good link, David. Thanks.

How scholarly has this site become?

Defender said...

I had been wondering why this scene from the old cop TV show "Adam-12" kept playing in my mind. The older partner keeps calling dispatch to run lots of license plate numbers that vary only slightly. The rookie wonders why. No wants or warrants on any of them. Then finally a hit, and they go to the address.
Turns out the bad guys had been modifying their license plate numbers with colored vinyl tape, turning a C to an O, a 3 to an 8, an F to an E and so on.
How devious.

Defender said...

I bet one of the talented graphics people in FreeFor could design a foil decal with the kind of gummy backing that you can never completely get off, that looks exactly like the face of this thing. Imagine the cop trying to figure out why he's got no data, looking and looking, and then ... "Oh, MAAAN!"

My wife does crafts, and there are various kinds of fast-acting glass-etching and -frosting sprays, liquids and pastes. Not that I'm suggesting anything, of course.