Thursday, June 27, 2013

Standing By

The Kitty Genovese Syndrome is strong in these bystanders, but for that brave woman at the end. [More]

Before condemning them, I wonder if I would get involved if I saw this unfold before me. I dislike the "sheepdog" analogy, and never made any pretense of wanting to be a security resource for others. My biggest fear would be legal repercussions, and doesn't that just say it all?

I did get involved once back in college, and instantly regretted it after finding my well-meaning friend and I were surrounded and the girl we presumed to be rescuing pretty much brought the whole thing on herself.  Very fortunately, I've been able to maintain presence of mind and posture to talk and/or bluff my way out of similar situations of being outnumbered a few times during the more reckless phase of my life.

[Via Florida Guy]


No comments: