Friday, April 25, 2014

There Oughtta Be a Law!

I guess it doesn't strike anyone that telling someone with a rifle to "Back away" a few feet wouldn't really make anyone any safer? I'm sure once they pass this, predators will fall all over each other rushing to comply. [More]

In fairness, I once told an unsavory-looking character -- and admittedly, that was my subjective judgement -- to "Back off!" and even held out my hand with a stiff arm and used the command tone to discourage him from getting within striking range.  And I was already running through my next potential moves if that didn't work. So I think any of us have the right to warn against intrusion into immediate personal space and to react if that's ignored.

But barring a clear boundary violation, it's tough to see how prior restraints like what are being discussed here aren't overkill. It sounds like when the woman said to keep away, they did.  It's the ones who don't that should concern us, and passing silly rules won't stop them.

2 comments:

Robert Fowler said...

Kim Martinez believes in free speech...... I didn’t really want to hear anything they had to say.”

But only if it's HER free speech.

Anonymous said...

"I didn’t really want to hear anything they had to say.”

Says it all. Closed, phobic mind.

Probably cock-shy as well ...

III