Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Myth of the Unarmed Man

If you don't believe media bias plays a role in how Americans interpret use of force by law enforcement, try this simple test. Do a Google search for "police officer kills unarmed man." I did and I got 179,000 results. Searching "Police officer shoots unarmed man" returned 205,000 results. Finally, I flipped the search around and typed, "unarmed man attacks police officer." I got this message: "No results found." [More]
Make sure you put the terms in quotation marks.

Here's another useful search to corroborate the justification for not allowing yourself to be attacked: "killed by punch".

The good thing about guns, as many who have been through a DGU can attest, is their presentation is often enough to make a potential attacker reconsider so the situation is resolved without coming to blows or worse. That's a good thing.

If an assailant will not allow that to happen, well, I have this saying. I'm not going to let some moron sociopath put my life and/or health at risk if I can stop him instead, using whatever means at my disposal to get the job done.

Whatever means. My experienced friend will attest to that.

You'll note no "Only Ones" title for this post. Just as I don't support police having special immunities withheld from We the People, I don't expect them, as individual human beings first, to have any fewer.

[Via Michael B]

No comments: