Monday, January 26, 2015

Write Someone Else's Congressman

I occasionally get feedback after I ask readers to write a specific congressman that the contact form only accepts communications from constituents living in their district. That's intentional avoidance, of course, as things they introduce, sponsor and vote on affect us all, and they aren't shy about accepting donations from across district and state lines.

What I do is use the address and phone of their local branch office (sometimes requiring I go to the USPS site to get the "+4" for the zip. It's also why I urge all advocates to get on social media, because you can tweet or message any of them that way, and their staffers will pick up and convey to the decision-makers what they see trending.

And no, of course I don't recommend using Facebook or Twitter for trivial pursuits.  I urge you to use it for C3I purposes. Otherwise, you are ceding entire vital areas to a documented enemy, who as WarOnGuns Correspondent Mack H observes, has weaponized social media and uses it to great effect.

More here.

No comments: