Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Free Disguised Ads Here!

What Every Gun Owner Should Do Before Hosting Family for the Holidays ... Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. [More]
Now check out this PR email sent to media:

[Click to enlarge]

Now there's journalism we can trust!  I'm so in awe of their professional standards, I've thought up a marketing slogan they can use, free of charge:


[Via AmmoLand]

UPDATE: They also practice censorship.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing new about sending press releases. Organizations from all over the political spectrum do it. The hope is that some frazzled editor will use it with minimal revision to fill a hole in a page or broadcast.

David Codrea said...

Yes, I know. But they shouldn't. At most, "journalists" should use them as the basis for developing a story of their own, and pull attributed quotes. Going the extra mile and presenting other qualified viewpoints might be nice too.

I've used press releases in the past, notably from ATF and DOJ, as a main source. I identify it as such and present a link. I never just cut and paste the whole thing, call it a story and post it as my own. But then again, I'm not an "authorized journalist," so what do I know?

And I know "frazzled" quite well.

Just using a press release essentially verbatim, not identifying it as a presser, and presenting it as "news" instead of as an editorial, when it is in fact a blatant agenda piece, is unethical, lazy and deceptive.

Meaning it's pretty much SOP for those guys.

Henry said...

Yup, they sure do… they removed my (polite but dissenting) comment as well.