Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Exceptions

Benson over at Tomato 7 takes exception to a Winston-Salem Journal opinion piece where columnist Scott Sexton states:
"Nobody - police, prosecutors or advocates for crime victims - thinks that firing a gun is the preferred method for dealing with an intruder."
I see Benson's point. Anyone intentionally breaking into your home must be considered dangerous. Hesitation could prove fatal.

I've gotten into arguments in the past with those who recommend racking the shotgun slide to scare intruders off. I can't think of any reason to give an enemy the tactical advantages of knowing:
1. I am there,
2. I am aware of him,
3. My approximate location, and
4. My armaments/capabilities

But that's not my major beef with Sexton's article. I think the guy's heart is in the right place but his knowledge base needs to catch up.

What grabbed my attention was his absurd claim:

"Basically, that means that you have the right to obtain a permit..."
This is what We the People permitting usurpations of power by our servants has led us to--the assumption that government authorization is needed to exercise unalienable rights. The Constitutional bright line of "shall not be infringed" has been blurred under the hollow promise and historically unjustified hope that compromise and incrementalism will lead to victory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped giving a good GD a long time ago about what the gov't "permits". Like when I got posted at the end of a mile long airstrip without a radio in VN and 3 rookies, who got dropped off at my position with no ammo and no water. Or when the CO of my company told me to sweep the woods near my Kaserne in Ger. for possible Bader Meinhof gang members who were armed to the teeth at that time, and were told to do it without being issued any ammo. Or, when a few punks armed with boxcutters murdered nearly 3,000 people in broad daylight in the greatest city in the U.S., which is supposedly the mightiest nation on earth. Yeah, I got yer permit, right here.

Anonymous said...

I have always regarded the pump shotgun to be the least reliable shotgun to use for self defense. All thar "rack the slide" bullshit is ridiculous. I'm no tough guy, if someone breaks into my house I would be scared shitless. When you are nervous you will tend to "short shuck" a pump and then you are screwed. I have a Benelli I have put thousands of rounds through with not one jam. I'll trust that gun with my life.

Anonymous said...

I am my permit.


Dan, can't agree with you on the pump shotgun. If you are scared and the adrenaline is running you have a better chance of pulling the clear through the action into you than you do of "short shucking". You would come a lot closer to ripping it right off the gun than you would come to being too gentle. But, neither can I fault your choice of shotgun, seems to me you got it covered.

OTOH, I agree with David C., if a BG is in my house, the first time I want him to know I was there is when he wakes up dead at the morgue.