Monday, December 05, 2005

Indicting the Gun Merchants

Judge Jack Weinstein spelled out how firearms makers flood New York with illegal weapons when he upheld the city's right to sue last week. Here's how he summed up the charges...

Am I reading this right? "[H]e summed up the charges"? It's the "Be Our Guest" column--did Weinstein write it?

If he did, this is straight out of the Brady playbook. He should have recused himself.

In a rational world, naked, one-sided advocacy for a plaintiff by a presiding judge would be grounds for dismissal, impeachment, and criminal charges to boot.

How about indicting the judge?

2 comments:

My Blog said...

What I want to know is which companies are flooding the streets with illegal firearms? I could have sworn the ones he's thinking of were outlawed in 1934 and the imports wer outlawed in 1989. Oh well, silly me. What do I know?

Molon Labe

E. David Quammen said...

That's funny, my stats. seem to be WAY OFF from the judges. According to my stats., MORE THAN 50 MILLION were slaughtered in the last century due to LACK of guns! And that these VICTIMS were DISARMED before they were SLAUGHTERED!

Am I mistaken in that the TOTAL NUMBER OF FIREARM RELATED DEATHS IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF THE U.S. still doesn't come even remotely close to the total of the HISTORICAL RECORD OF the number of DISARMED PEOPLE MURDERED?

What is TOTALLY AMAZING is that Hitler surely must have INCINERATED a number of people that had the last name of Weinstein!

Is this judge in full possession of his mental faculties? Is he even fit to try a traffic violation case?