Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Can I Ignore the Law, Too?

An Open Inquiry to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Dear Governor,

You have been violating California law by riding a motorcycle without a license.

You've been doing this for years, and say you just never thought about it? Yeah, that's pretty believable. It's not like there's any established pattern that would make us doubt your word--and we'll just forget about the attempted weasel-wording from your flack about sidecars and Class C licenses...

So tell me, Governor--am I free to ignore laws, too? I see you're a big supporter of citizen disarmament. Unfortunately, unlike you, when we ordinary Californians go out, we don't take a "protective detail" of taxpayer-funded armed CHP officers with us.

So if any of us "never really applied" to register what the state of California classifies as an "assault weapon" or a .50 BMG rifle, can we just shrug it off if we get caught, and pledge to get a license in the future?

Understand this is all just hypothetical--the last time I posed a similar exercise in tongue-in-cheek comparative logic, San Francisco authorities launched a police investigation against me.

I wouldn't want that to happen again--for simply asking someone in authority who is selectively enforcing and ignoring laws that suit their purposes--if I can expect the same privileges and immunities they claim entitlement to.

Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the man has spent his entire life in a popularity contest. The only people that do that are by definition, defective and must receive special treatment and privileges to survive in the real world.

Think about it, his entire life life has been built on the opinion of other people. Nothing he has ever been credited with has been the result of his own worth or work, only how he has been received and/or approved by others. He doesn't own himself and never has.

Kind of reminds you of a 'girly man', doesn't it?

He, unfortunately, isn't unique. Most of our public figures fall in the same category. My only thought that seems to account for their ever continuous popularity is that perhaps mediocrity is worshipping itself, by keeping these drones always center stage.

They, of course, do not see anything wrong with the rules being for everybody else, they are special, don't you know? The famous representative of the lowest common denominator.

That could be the title of the next blockbuster movie. "The Fractionator, an epic drama of all that a partial man can achieve given special privilege and weak character forgiveness". In sleaze around..... uh, I mean, surround sound?

Having said all the above, I have actually enjoyed some of the dummy's movies. He still needs to be charged with all the crimes he committed and the accident WAS his fault, if he hadn't been breaking the law he wouldn't have been there to be backed into. I don't necessarily agree with that line of thought, but it is accepted practice in the law, so accept it and pay up, Fractionator.

E. David Quammen said...

Of course, you cannot ignore ze law, too! This is the Termin...I mean Governator...I mean, you KNOW what I mean, damn you!
I am very rich and have the backing of the whole Kennedy clan! There is NO LAW big enough to contain me! You are just an insignificant 'spec' in comparison to one such as me!
You vill do as your told, not as I do! Or, I'm warning you - I'll be back!
By the vey, you don't have a .50 caliber do you? I have deemed zem unnecessary! To ANYVON BUT ME! As I've said in the past "I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun."
Now, go avay before you are Terminated!

Anonymous said...

I am ignoring the law too. I have in my home a toilet with a two and one half gallon flushing capacity. I titter with oafish delight while flushing it and half expect the FBI or some such gang of JBTs' to come crashing in and the slow tortures to begin. I sometimes sit in the corner sweating like the pig I am, pulling the tags off of do not remove under penalty of law tags, and convulse with law-breaking laughter, knowing my penalty will arrive in due course.