Monday, April 30, 2007

KC Mall "Gun Free"

John Lott gets the scoop.

But it's not for lack of trying here...:)

[Via Eric]


UPDATE: I've had it reported that someone who lives near the mall says it is not posted. I don't know any more than that, or even if it is accurate, but thought I'd better throw this into the mix for your consideration. As with all developing stories, the urge to get information out quickly is often tempered by the reliability of that information. Since Prof. Lott reports "Security at the mall confirms that guns are banned there," I'm going to assign more credence to that based on his professional reputation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm betting we're both right.

I'm sure that if you go in the mall and find one of their 'policy' signs it says that weapons are prohibited.

While I haven't been there in a while the friend who told me it wasn't posted is a bit rabid about checking for signs so I'm also sure that they don't have a sign at least 11x14 with 1" high letters stating that concealed carry is prohibited (i.e., 'not posted').

I've seen that sort of thing at more than one place, as well as putting up 3" square 'gunbuster' stickers (usually clear ones on a clear door) and thinking they're 'posted'. Missouri law is quite clear on the subject, although not quite as clear as other states that have specific required signage (such as Texas and Kansas).

Not that signs or policies had any effect on the situation.

One good thing out of this situation - the KC Metro area police have changed policies in the last few years and no longer stack up to 'assess' and wait for SWAT to arrive. Any officer arriving on scene is supposed to load up and get in there and every bit of coverage I've seen from this event showed them doing just that. The gunman was down and out within about 15 minutes of his first encounter with a LEO at the gas station (that officer got off 23 shots and scored some hits even after taking a .22 through the right shoulder). Part of the quick response at the mall was no doubt due to the high-speed approach of LEO responding to the 'officer down' call but still, in this case they done good.