Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What's Up, Doc?

How come you took this post off your site?


I've been beating this drum for years, mostly to myself, it seems. Your reach is much longer than mine.

So what's the deal, Prof. Lott? It's the truth and it's relevant. Hell, it's more than relevant, it's giving sanction to evil laws that are killing--and will continue to kill--real people. Don't you think gun owners/NRA members deserve to know where the most influential name in "the gun lobby" stands on this issue?

It's your blog and you can post what you want, but I don't think we can be faulted if some of us are wondering what prompted you to remove it. I hope you reconsider--adding your voice to those asking LaPierre why his self-serving blowhard anti-defense posturing is worth anyone's life seems a legitimate pursuit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the reason it was taken off is because it was a talk given in 1999. When I first saw it I also thought it was in reference to Virginia Tech. However, it is very disturbing that Mr. LaPierre gave such a speech. Changing the subject, it should be noted that of the 32 people murdered at Virginia Tech, 16 where 21 years old or older. If self-defense was given the importance it should, 50% of those killed would have had a gun and would have stopped it.

David Codrea said...

Sorry, Anon, but if you followed the "beating the drum" link I provided to my reporting on this, you'll find new NRA president Sandra Froman suggested looking at arming teachers and was quickly shut down and NRA reiterated its policy of cops and security only.

It's not old policy, it's current policy.

NRA management believes schools should be gun free zones.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't disagreeing with you. In fact I have sent two emails to the NRA expressing that I think the stand they take on gun-free zones worse and do more damage than Jim Zumbo's remark. It is just that the post taken off by Lott was an old one. I do think and wish that the NRA would reverse themselves on this subject. The rank and file along with many of its leaders do not believe in or want gun-free zones. I grew up in the Western tradition and am against any type of gun control. The West proved that an armed society is a polite society and individuals that couldn't comprehend that were handled accordingly. Again, I agree with you, I was just trying to explain why that particular post may have been taken down. Do Keep up the good work - I enjoy your blog and your magazine articles. Have some of them saved for future reference.