Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Probable Cause"

They obtained a warrant, searched my bag, determined that unless I was planning on throwing my physics notes at someone (which reminds me I left a notebook on the desk in class…. I’ll have to get it tomorrow) I had nothing that was illegal in my bag.


Posting on gun forums can get you searched. And that's all the "probable cause" needed to obtain a warrant in the police state we have allowed ourselves to devolve into.

I applaud this guy's refusal to allow the cops to search his backpack without a warrant--that showed courage most don't have.

That said, I would have objected to a search of my person as well, and I certainly wouldn't be posting after the fact about how polite my tormentors were during my coerced ordeal--where enemies who outnumbered me were prepared to kill me if I didn't comply with their orders. I certainly wouldn't be apologizing "for making [their] jobs harder."

I'd also be demanding to know who my accuser was. Problem is, most college students don't have the money to pursue legal claims, and it's not like this is meat for contingency lawyers--so unless someone like the ACLU steps up to the plate, and considering their position on guns that ain't gonna happen--legal resolution seems unlikely.

[Via RuffRidr]

3 comments:

Ken said...

I understand, David, but from a PR standpoint, I think our man played it just about right. His actions throughout effectively raised the "Who's zoomin' who?" question with respect to the complainant.

It cost him half an hour of his time and some stress (both of which are unfortunate), but he preserved his liberty and essentially advanced the cause by representing free men and women in the best possible light. It's no bad thing to conduct one's self as a gentleman or gentlewoman, even when those around one do not. It's a long slow slog, but that's jiu-jitsu for you.

Anonymous said...

I understand, David, but from a PR standpoint, I think our man played it just about right.

Ideally speaking, what in your opinion, would have been the best outcome for liberty:

1.) He consents and apologies after having his rights raped.

2.) Civil resistance. Maybe getting arrested in the process of refusing to have his bag searched.

3.) Resists even to death. Possibly getting an officer killed in the process.

I say "Ideally speaking", because many of us would not have the amazing bravery to deal with the situation the way we know we should. Like ANDREW JACKSON, nearly killed for refusing to polish a British officers boots.


C.H.

Anonymous said...

In the mid-70's during a traffic stop a sheriff's deputy noticed a box of ammunition on the tray under my dashboard, no glove box on this model car. He asked if I had a gun to go with it. I don't know what the law was in Oregon at the time about carrying in a car, but I truthfully answered, that I did not have a gun in the car. In fact the gun the ammunition was for was lost in 1500 foot drop when a friend's car went off the road in Arizona and I hadn't replaced it. My friend survived because he was thrown from the car so the loss wasn't that big a deal.

That was the end of it. Good cop.

At another time, I pointed out that if I let the officer search me and my vehicle I expected to be able to search him and his vehicle to dispose of any of those nasty guns he seemed so afraid of. He called me smartass, go figure. But he dropped it. Today they would call out SWAT, FBI, the Corps, and BATfuckeverybody. We have fallen far. Now that we are slowly turning this trend we need to apply more pressure until this herd of crap is running the other direction. Just stopping it is not enough, we must undo it.