Friday, October 19, 2007

Buckling Down Under

A man in a bank building, wearing a belt buckle shaped like a small gun, has sparked a security alert involving police in bullet-proof jackets in Adelaide.


If the buckle in question is what's on the hood of the car in the accompanying photo, I kind of understand why Aussies unused to seeing armed citizens would have a heart attack.

I do remember as a kid I always thought Yancy Derringer's buckle rig was pretty slick, and I sure hope nobody tells ebay (which is why I'm not including a link) that somebody is selling this cool girl's fashion accessory on their site:


I remember reading about a Nazi officer's belt buckle gun some years ago in one of the gun mags--it was apparently designed to spring open and fire hands-free into the belly of someone standing in front of the wearer--presumably to escape being taken prisoner. I recall the writer took a self-righteous tone and wondered at the mentality that would produce such a weapon, and remember thinking that was a hell of an attitude to take against a tool that could very well be morally deployed by someone interested only in defense.

I want one of those concealed spring-release wrist derringers James T. West had, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, there ARE belt buckles that hold the North American Arms mini-revolvers. I always thought one of those would be cool.

chris horton said...

I have several derringers I like to carry as back-up.410/45,and 9mm.All with inter-changeable barrels.

Fits said...

Had one of the Yancy toy versions. After practicing the precise stomach muscle flex necessary to initiate all hell breaking loose , the little thing'd snap right out, drop a hammer down on a greenie stickem cap, and it usually took the rest of the day promising mom that I'd never do it again while she was pouring some tea for her friends at their bridge game.