Tuesday, October 16, 2007

We're the Only Ones Incompetent Enough

The rookie Houston Police Department officer who shot and killed a 14-year-old special education student in one of the decade's most controversial shootings earned his badge and gun despite flunking a crucial test of firearms handling as well as initial police field training, according to documents recently made public as part of a civil rights lawsuit.

The child was not guilty.
The child was not armed.
The child was crying for his "Mama."
And this...this creature gets 60 days.

At some point, I'd like to see the name Arthur J. Carbonneau remembered--perhaps as a special "Only One" award for exceptional incompetence and brutality. But not right now. I have boys near the victim's age, and the overwhelming love I have for them never fails to humble and awe me when I reflect on it. I can't even begin to think what my reaction would be if this were my son.

[Via LibertyPlease]

6 comments:

Sean said...

Love the way the HPD defended this garbage, and love the sentence even more. I don't have the vernacular to express it. Town I live in wants to raise taxes for more cops,cars,admin,ad nauseum. 100's of thousands of dollars worth household posessions, tools, construction equipment,cash,jewelry,you name it is being stolen every week, and all these bozoes do is hand out tickets. They couldn't catch a cold. Oh, yes, they're armed with MP5s' and HK93s'. Beautiful spankin' new SWAT truck. Cameras on every street intersection. I'll vote against the tax raise of course, but this area is full of yuppie moms in every SUV imaginable. Can't wait to see how this all pans out.

David Codrea said...

KM--I deleted your comment--the last sentence was too suggestive for my comfort level. I hope you understand.

The first sentence, for those who are curious, was:
This bad(ge)guy's name can go down in history along with the name "Lon Horiuchi", the Butcher of Ruby Ridge.

Anonymous said...

In other news, the cops are complaining that more and more people are shooting back at them and 60 cops have been killed this year from gun fire. With cops like this on duty and not getting punished when they commit murder, what do these idiots expect?

Anonymous said...

If KM's post was too suggestive, I know mine won't fly if I said what I think.

Mr. Bruce said...

From the Chronicle's story

"In the stress-firing test, recruits are required to run through the course, often in a parking lot, find cover, draw their weapons and fire a series of rounds at various targets. Lights flash and sirens blare to confuse and distract. In the June 2002 graduating class, 22 of 38 in his group, including Carbonneau, flunked the test."

Might want to find those 21 other cops that flunked the test, hmm?

Anonymous said...

"I can't even begin to think what my reaction would be if this were my son."-David.

I KNOW what my reaction would be, and it wouldn't be limited to the shooter, but everyone who covered for him or justified what he did in or out of the PD would get a share. At least until I lost.