Monday, November 05, 2007

"Not Obliged"

John McClelland, a fiction writer who blogs about liberty issues from Northern Ireland as “Cryptic Subterranean,” also tried to get this information. Being a British citizen (and one who understands principles of American Constitutionalism better than the vast majority of US citizens), he is in a better position to approach his public servants than some foreign interloper from “across the pond.”

“Your request for information has now been considered,” the Orwellian-titled “Freedom of Information Officer” informed him, “and I am not obliged to supply the information you have requested.”

"Not Obliged," my Rights Watch column for the December 2007 issue of GUNS Magazine, is now online.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orwellian, indeed. Here, as well as there, Kafkaesque.

Anonymous said...

David: Perhaps he could repeat the above answer when he has to report earnings on his taxes?

Public servant, my ass. Guess which party is the one that is paying for this rubbish.

I wish I was more familiar with the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000, because it's all very confusing to me. I'm not sure if "we're not obliged" is an acceptable answer, or that this answer indicates a closed case.

Heard of what happened when Steve McIntyre tried to get climate study information out of the Wizard of East Anglia?

"Your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000... has been considered and I am not obliged to supply the information..."