Tuesday, December 04, 2007

This Day in History: December 4


"After the officers had taken a glass of wine General Washington said 'I cannot come to each of you but shall feel obliged if each of you will come and take me by the hand.' General Knox being nearest to him turned to the Commander-in-chief who, suffused in tears, was incapable of utterance but grasped his hand when they embraced each other in silence. In the same affectionate manner every officer in the room marched up and parted with his general in chief. Such a scene of sorrow and weeping I had never before witnessed and fondly hope I may never be called to witness again."
When was the last time you loved a leader you would follow into hell?

2 comments:

chris horton said...

I'm leaving a comment to one here now.....

Sean said...

LTC. John A. Noble, that's who. No finer man led the 16th by G*d Infantry (Ranger), ever.