Friday, December 24, 2010

An Important Message for All Sipsey Street Irregulars...uh...Regulars

While society rewards the likes of Snooki from Jersey Shore with celebrity and fortune, and while  lying, incompetent "Authorized Journalists" enjoy their paychecks, benefits, matching 401K contributions and the like, the market for liberty leadership is flat.

We need the leaders, but no one seems willing to pay for them.

Friends of Mike Vanderboegh have contacted me and are concerned that he's financially hurting.  I know for a fact that he is--with health problems also being a concern--and have been wondering what we who look to him on a regular basis for analysis, guidance and leadership can do.

As would be expected, Mike is not only proud, but selfless.  When I contacted him about saying something--because I don't wish to embarrass him--his response did not surprise me in the least.  I don't make a practice of sharing private emails, and I trust he'll forgive me for sharing a portion of this one--while admitting the difficult time his family is facing, this was his primary response:
I am loath to ask other people for money when things are so very tight everywhere and they should be preparing themselves.
Regulars here know I never ask for money for myself (although I do shamelessly hound to share my Examiner links so those cheap ########! can pay me).  In this case, I'm not going to ask you to send Mike a donation either.

Not a cent in gift money.

What I will ask you to do --all of you who visit his site every day and receive value from it--is pay for that value.  I'm asking you to voluntarily subscribe to Sipsey Street Irregulars and help Mike continue to bring YOU his daily reports and insights.

Just so we're clear: This is NOT CHARITY.  This is PAYMENT FOR SERVICES BEING RENDERED.

How much?  I won't put a ceiling on the maximum, but would submit the recommended minimum should be something we all, with very few exceptions/excuses can afford: A dollar a month.

I see from Mike's Site Meter that SSI brings in around 2,400 discrete visitors each day.  That means if we all do this, the guy will actually be able to pay most of the bills and focus on giving us what he's been selflessly providing every day for years--with no compensation or expectations of personal gain.

What is this guy, our slave?  Do people pay you for what you do?

I'll accept that some--a few--are simply not in a position to do this, with financial straits of their own.  But I bet most of us are able. How much do we spend a year on ammo?  Do you think we can get through this without intellectual ammunition and leadership?

How many will man up and do the right thing? 3/4? Half?Under a dozen of you?

My experience with trying to get simple things done, like sharing a link or sending an email, does not fill me with great hopes. Sorry, not trying to start a fight here, but I've said before, if anything induces me to finally hang things up and take care of Number One, it will be those "Profiles in Apathy" that to me represent a greater threat than the antis will ever be capable of presenting.

I don't want to hear great words of Liberty and "Is it time yet?" and all the other brave words of defiance from thousands of self-professed Threepers who won't even do this small thing.  If you won't do it, if you won't help when you know in your heart you could, my guess is it will show the oppressor all he needs to know about the personal commitment of those who say they'll stand up to him.

Regulars here know I never ask anyone to do anything I'm not willing to do myself.

My envelope with my $12 annual subscription fee is in the mail.

Mike Vanderboegh
P.O. Box 926
Pinson, AL 35126.

If you agree with me, yours will be too, and you'll spread the word.

And I apologize to Mike if this embarrasses him. I did not get his permission to do this. But unless he tells me flat out that leaving this plea up will end our friendship, I'll not obey any orders from him to take this post down.

22 comments:

MamaLiberty said...

I've sent some in the past and will do so again. Sure hope he can get Resolved out for folks to purchase. That couldn't hurt. :)

Harry Steele said...

I sent him my subscription $ via paypal........

His email is easily found on Sipsey street..., well, at least I found it easily.

Dutchman6 said...

David, the only thing that embarrasses me is my chronic penury, which is my own responsibility. Ashamed though I may be about my circumstances, there is nothing you could do that would cost you my friendship. May God bless you and all of my well-wishers and friends, whether they respond to your call or not.

I will try to produce a product in the future worthy of your, and their, support.

Through blurred eyes, I remain, your friend,

Mike
III

Sean said...

Already sent the old grouch and well-known curmudgeon a little something with his Christmas card. Wasn't hard to figure out. I don't mind helping out, and wish you would charge a nominal fee as well. Merry Christmas y'all!

Reg T said...

Thanks for the reminder, David. I'm only sorry that I _needed_ to be reminded.

Chaplain Tim said...

Sent Mike a little something. Anyone know how to set up Paypal to make a recurring payment? I know business accounts can set up subscriptions that are automatically paid.

EJR914 said...

One of the best pieces I have read from you, yet, David. I'm in dire straights financially right now, but dangit, I go to Mike's site everyday and read his opinions on the current subject of the day. You have convinced me to send what I can, even if it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

God Bless you, David and Mike. Merry Christmas!

Toaster 802 said...

Quoted and linked at http://greenmnts.blogspot.com

Consulting fees on the way day after Christmas.

Defender said...

Wonderful idea, David. I've sent what I could.
You're not a bad leader yourself.

Bill St. Clair said...

Thanks, David. Good idea.

If Mike will just get Resolved to the publisher, though, even a rough version, he'll be rolling in dough pretty quickly.

Maybe he could ask for pre-orders. That's how a band I know affords to get final editing and production done on their CDs.

Anonymous said...

I little something headed Mike's way on Monday. Thanks David for the reminder of how much I appreciate Mike's work. Yours too.

God Bless You and Yours David and Mike!

Pickdog
III

Mike B. said...

Thank you David.

T.L. Davis said...

As PAYMENT, I have sent my proposal to Mike. As a founder of Guardians of Liberty, my reliance on Sipsey Street Irregulars and the liberty-devoted membership have heartened me greatly over the past few weeks.

To not take this opportunity to repay that kindness and assistance would be nearly the most shameful day of my life.

I have done so, you should do so. This is a time when we must all rally to the other and support that which has fought the battles for us.

TPaine said...

I've been hitting Mike's site for quite awhile now (ever since I discovered Absolved. (Gotta get that published, Mike!) And I'm an almost daily visitor, as well as listing his site (and yours, David) on my own site.

Just went through a bankruptcy. and barely have two pennies to rub together, but when my pension check comes in on 1/1/11, there will be something sent via PayPal to Mike's account. God bles y'all and hope you had a very blessed and merry CHristmas!

Crustyrusty said...

Even if each of those 542 followers sent 12 bucks for a subbie, it would take at least some of the heat off.

Ahab said...

My subscription fee, plus a little extra to cover incidentals, will be in the mail when my pension check gets deposited 1/1/11. I've been in his straits myself, so I know what it means to have friends. I'm a friend.

Ahab
RMC(SS), USN, Ret.

Anonymous said...

Mike says that his penury is his responsibility. True enough.

So too is it my responsibility to give value for value received - circulating the energy, keeping the karmic balance, so to say, in the parlance of my flower child days decades ago.

Today I bought a $50 USPS money order to be put in tomorrow's mail. For next year, I humbly commit to another $50 minimum (or two one-once silver rounds, depending on economic conditions).

Thank you, Pete, for the link. Thank you, David, for the kick in the pants. And thank you, Mike, for the enormous knowledge you have shared with us and the passion and artistry with which you have imparted it.

Lone Jack

triptyx said...

Subscription sent via PayPal to the address with 1775 and ATT in it. If this is incorrect let me know and I'll shift fire. :)

Mark Matis said...

Mike said "sam adams" account is busted. Use the "george mason" one instead. Those of you who tried PayPal to "sam adams" may want to check if it went through...

Mark Matis said...

Of course, there's no need to bother checking your PayPal results if you don't mind those funds providing some time on the golf course for The One. Or would it be more likely used to buy some Butch Wax for Napolitano instead?

Anonymous said...

I'm in.

Scott in Phx, AZ

Garrett_Mossberg said...

Even as I'm finding this eye opening (and a*s kicking) post by David Codrea a little on the later side of the New Year, but thanks regardless to Alvie D. Zane of The Cliffs of Insanity.

Concerning the far reaching personal value that Mike Vanderboegh and Sipsey Street Irregulars has been providing all its readers including myself, it is high time we honestly showed tangible support for our common brother Mike, who for me, after the Lord and His Daily Bread words, Sipsey Street is my other daily food for mind, heart & soul. Oo-rah. My appreciation "subscription" is on its way via paypal with a little extra...

Perhaps Sipsey Street needs to offer a recurring monthly subscription of more than just a dollar per month - nearly all the minor and major online info marketers & gurus have gone to this model and are shamelessly living quite nicely...can you say $297 per month per subscriber? Trouble is Blogger.com does not allow this (lucrative) but respectable economics method (paid recurring membership) because it would violate the terms of service. Blogger.com does allow silly "scroogle badsense" and-or-a Paypal donation button though to its credit.

The least expensive recurring monthly online subscription of which I am a part of is $15 month (x12 mo.= $180 yr) and most times the unrelated content on that particular site is not half as useful or meaningful to me as Mike's Sipsey Street. Bet there are at least 25 people as longtime Sipsey readers that would subscribe at say $19mo x 12mo x 25 subscriptions = $5700 annual paid readerships or even 25 readers at $15 mo. at minimum, = $4500 annually. Ok, $10 bux per month for cryin' out loud, not a dollar less. This to defer our brother's living expenses, you understand: a man must eat and provide for his own family, says the good Lord. Besides, heck nearly everyone drops far more than 15 bux in a day at the fast food joints and the WalmarTSA. Ya think?

Perhaps if we can get a reasonable webmaster guy /girl who understands this and the need to reset and migrate Sipsey Street kit-n-kaboodle onto an inexpensive 'paid self hosted' domain website (such as Hostgator) using WordPress as the blog platform, instead of Blogger.com, then this recurring automatic membership idea can fly. Any thoughts Mike, as you are the heap big chief , architect and main brain?

Meanwhile it's back to snail mail and paypal with our donations for value received as David would so aptly put it...

God bless you brother Mike, I'd be even more lost without ya, with regard to direction and praxis instruction, in this crazy world reentering the dark ages...we're all in this penury together (make me go to the dictionary again and again, will ya?)

And thank you again Alvie for the heads up, and David for the wakeup call, both to Christ-like and Threeper action. (James 2:15,16)
Thank you our Dutchman scribe, for your selflessness, humility and genuine heart. Man, has Mike ever got heart.

Garrett, III