Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Speaking of TSA...

Received via email:
TSA is trying to kill the armed pilots program. Pilots are very sensitive to how much stuff they want to lug around on trips. Instead of allowing them to keep the USP compact concealed in a bag of their choice, they will be requiring they be carried in a large metal box, 10 pounds without the gun. Some are already not re qualifying in anticipation of the new rules.
"Any way to source this?" asks I.

The reply:
My dad just called me apoplectic (the gun is the way for them to bypass the slave-training/security but now the inconvenience of the box.....). got done with his requal and they gave him "the box". I'll try to get him to email me a picture. They're very secretive about the whole program for unknown reasons so I doubt there will be a press release.
The picture:
It's the silver one on the left.
I think this would be more effective if they put "GUN" on the side in big red letters.

And I'm told:
For more back story, when the program first started, TSA was going to make them use the smaller box on the right. Due to outcry, they let them carry concealed in a bag of their choice. Now the big silver kevlar "back pack" will be required.

UPDATE: From a different source:
Don't list me as a source (SSI), but it is not silver, and it is not a backpack. I don't have one yet (and will avoid it for as long as possible), but it is black, nylon or perhaps kevlar soft-side case designed to accommodate a lock. Guess they got tired of discharges from the previous idiotic system, so they replaced it with a new idiotic system.
No idea why a discrepancy, but it appears the basic facts are borne out. Maybe they have different models for different pilots...?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The prevailing mindset at tsa is that everyone is too dumb to be trusted.

Most pilots I have met were former military- This must drive them nuts!
boBm

Chas said...

Markie Marxist sez: "We Marxists are so manipulative, aren't we? Ha! Ha!"

W W Woodward said...

What is the rational behind "the box"? Or, does TSA need a fauxlogical reason for what they do?

This, along with other Sister Nappy decisions, has put the lid on any air travel for me. I'll be damned if I will trust a pilot with my life, and the lives of my family, if he/she cannot be trusted with a gun. I'll drive where I need to go or I just won't go!

[W3]