Friday, March 09, 2012

Your Tax Dollars at Work

I wish I could say unbelievable. [Watch]

And on top of that, they couldn't even make them right.

Looks like they finally put the brakes on it in December:
“At the Treasury Department, we’re continuing to work hard in support of President Obama and Vice President Biden’s efforts to cut waste and streamline government,” said Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner. “Putting a stop to the minting of surplus $1 coins represents a significant opportunity to reduce costs and improve efficiency. In these tough times, Americans are making every dollar count, and they deserve the same from their government. We simply shouldn’t be wasting taxpayer money on money that taxpayers aren’t using.”
Yeah, like it was their idea and they'd have done a thing until exposed and unless outrage had been raised.

[Via Skip]

3 comments:

AJ said...

Frankly, I love the dollar coins, and ask for them whenever I'm at the bank. My main complaint is that they are debased, and each coin is worth less than a dollar.

Frank said...

The solution was to stop printing 1 dollar bills and the coins would not be unneeded for long.

I live in America's Hat (Canada) and an educated guess tells me about 98% of the population would not go back to the $1 bill.

There was a lot of bitching and moaning when the change was made, though.

Anonymous said...

You heard it here first!
The coins would be used more if clerks used the coins and didn't always reach for dollar bills out of habit for change.
I kind of like the new buck coins and have asked the tellers at my bank branch, why I don't see them much. I'm told they don't get many of them and for only short windows of time. Go figure.