Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Neville Chamberlain Appeasement Award Semi-Finalists


Dicks

Cerberus

And Coloseum Software (firearms inventory systems) sent this out, but promptly revoked their Facebook page after a few of us asked them if they were out of their minds. They get no props from me for apparently reversing the decision, because it hardly looks like it was based on principle:


This is actually useful, as it lets us see who in "our ranks" will cut and run at the first sign of trouble.  It gives us an indicator of where the house will be divided, and who will be happy to take our money, but then abandon us if it looks like they may get dragged into the fray.

Mr. Adams?

Polyphemus? Tell them what they'll win.

If you know of any other contestants deserving of the award, nominations are now open in "Comments."

UPDATE--I just received this email in response to sending them the link to this post:
Press Release

For Immediate Release

Media Contact
December 18, 2012

Open Apology from Coloseum Software Corp- CEO

I would like to sincerely apologize for the pledge campaign that was initiated by Coloseum Software Corp. yesterday. Our intention was not to provide an anti-gun or anti-FFL dealer message. Our intention was to unify and protect dealers against the coming storm.

When a financial crisis befell truck drivers in the 1970s, they united and went on strike, pulling over en masse and going idle. I suggested the pledge with the same spirit. I was moved to attempt to demonstrate how important we in the firearms industry are to the economy and to our nation. I humbly accept, based on the backlash that I received, that I failed to inspire those in this with me to take action. In retrospect, rather than suggest a no-sale day, I understand that perhaps I should have suggested we show our support by visiting an FFL dealer on January 25, 2013.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your disappointment with our announcement and for allowing me to recant the pledge. I have been in the firearms industry for 20 years. I have been a retail dealer. I am an avid shooter. We at Coloseum Software Corp. work solely for the firearms industry. Every day, we work to protect dealers and to assist them with the ATF. Coloseum Software Corp. solidly maintains its commitment to the firearms industry.

Sincerely yours,

James M. Lamonte CEO, Coloseum Software Corp.
I don't hold grudges if an apology is sincere. I would like to hope that if I let a friend down and apologized that I would be forgiven. That said, I'd expect it would take a while, as well as some deeds to back the words, before I earned back their trust.

UPDATE: Looks like Cheaper Than Dirt just decided they don't want to be our friends any more, too.  I was just discussing that on another comment thread and trying to verify it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pledge not to be a victim of criminal attacks and will teach my children not to be victims either and defend themselves as needed, and teach them the safe and proficient use of firearms for thier defence. Last but not least teach them about GOD, morals and charctor.

John said...

As every mass shooting in the last 15 years has been committed by persons on prescription psychotic drugs, I think I would rather see something coming from the drug companies and medical profession than arms dealers. It is after all, the crazies who are doing the deed.

Chad said...

That's a shame. While probably a good idea for Cerebus to get out of the business, that firearms companies themselves are doing this is a real shame.

In honor of law abiding gun owners everywhere, I've dropped the price on my gun inventory software Shot Works Pro for personal use. I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

People seem to also forget that Newtown, CT and even the Oregon mall shooter both stole the weapons they used... they didn't go and buy said weapon... Adam Lanza stole the weapon then shot his mom in the face 4 times before going off on the spree. The oregon shooter was 'acting weird' in the days prior according to his roomie, and the morning of the shooting he noticed his AR15 was missing, then heard about the shooting... gun control would not have done anything to prevent such horrific acts.

An act of violence is an act of violence is an act of violence, whether one beats or strangles someone to death with their bare hands, uses a rock to crush their head in, stab them, or shoots them. In fact, knives kill and wound more people in attacks each year than any so called 'assault rifle' does.... so where the heck are all the people clamoring for knife control???