Monday, February 25, 2013

Day of Resistance

Doc of Maingun Military Surplus passes along his thoughts on an event he organized and has allowed me to share them here:
As I commented on the War on Guns page, I was hesitant to support these guys too. The National Level folks seemed to be out for money and fame, not for the cause.

None the less, I signed up to sponsor one of these events locally.

The minuses:

I got inundated with fund raising efforts (different names, but all related to the National group)

I got more junk mail to my email address in the past few weeks than I’ve gotten in the past few years (the old, I have all this money to move, just let me help you crap)

The “canned” press releases that they sent out for us to use were heavily focused on the national group

The pluses:

It was easy to remove references to the National group from our signs, advertising, and press releases

Lots of other groups advertised the event, so we had lots of free advertising

The result:

It rained for the past three days (heavy rain and cold), but we had 150 or so people show up

Some the traditional media outlets that proclaim to be conservative were called out to support a pro second amendment rally. And they showed their true stripes. Rudeness when they did respond. Most claimed that at best this was something that should be in the hunting news section. In the case of our “conservative” radio station, an email with a “vid cap” of the response to the Corporate Beasley Broadcasting Group got immediate attention and a written and oral apology – and coverage!

We got a conservative congressman and a moderate demoncrat to attend. The conservative was very vocal in support. The moderate democrat was very outspoken that the assault weapons ban would be killed. His words, “it didn’t work the first time, so there is no reason to do it again.” We tried to convince to go further, but alas, he is still a democrat.

Best part is that we passed the hat to cover expenses. We received an extra $210 above expenses. I’m sending it to the Reese family defense fund. [Emphasis added-DC]

I figure that as long as we know who we are dealing with, we need to use them to further the right goals.

No comments: