Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Eye of Sauron

Just when you thought it was safe behind the wheel of your large automobile, government attorneys are trying again to monitor your movements...

...A veritable flood of data about drivers -- every turn of the wheel, every application of the brakes -- is about to be unleashed into the open market. [More]
My car insurance agent sent me a monitoring device with the offer of a discount if I used it.

I find it amazing that enough people take them up on it to make mass producing the damn things feasible.  And, of course, I'm just waiting for it to become a requirement. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be a requirement. If memory serves; DoT and IIHS have promulgated rules to mandate black boxes monitoring over 50 data points of vehicle operation.
The info will not be accessible to the owner.
Cheers.

Carl Stevenson said...

Sounds like a great niche market for some enterprising techies ... Hacking those black boxes to disable the big brother snooping without disabling the vehicle.
If I wasn't retired, I'd consider it an opportunity to make some money while providing a valuable public service :-)

Scott J said...

Statists hate the automobile almost as much as they hate the gun because it too enables personal freedom.

I was a car guy before I was a gun guy.

It was years later before I realized both passions were born out of a love of liberty.

David Codrea said...

It would seem, at least to this non-lawyer, that mandated use could be challenged on Fifth Amendment self-incrimination grounds -- at least in a land that respected the Constitution as its supreme law. Of course, if we lived in such a land, no one would presume to force this crap on us in the first place.