Thursday, September 05, 2013

And the Crowd Went Wild

Kuzawa expressed his opinion on why guns should be allowed on city property, but Sharon Fairchild-Soucy, vice-president of Council, responded that she did not feel safe in a city that allows guns.

“I want my grandson to grow up in a town where guns are not necessary, and I think I have the right to live in a protected environment where guns are not a factor,” she said to a round of applause. [More]
Oberlin is one of those "progressive" college-dominated towns.  They take pride in being an Underground Railroad stop, and even in being known as"the town that started the Civil War."

There are plenty of photos of a plaque commemorating that, but for some reason it's difficult to find any of its reverse side, that says:
In 1859, Oberlin's African American lawyer and activist, John Mercer Langston recruited two of the town's prominent young men of color, John A. Copeland and Lewis Sheridan Leary into John Brown's band of twenty-one raiders. They attacked the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. Leary was killed during the unsuccessful attempt to bring about emancipation through a slave insurrection. Before his hanging in Charleston, Virginia on December 19, 1859, Copeland wrote to his family in Oberlin: "how dear brother could I die for a more noble cause?" Oberlinites memorialized these two martyrs and co-conspirator, Shields Green, with the only monument erected for any of the five African Americans who fought with John Brown. The monument stands in Oberlin's Martin Luther King Park. 
I wonder if ol' Sharon would have approved of these ...uh... insurrectionists fighting the violence monopoly for freedom -- with guns.  I suppose I could always ask her -- if I gave a damn about this bleating ungulate's opinion.

[Via Neil W]

1 comment:

Kent McManigal said...

Her psychological problems are not my concern. I'm sorry for her that she doesn't "feel safe", but does she really believe guns are not present where they are not "allowed"? All that means is that the people who are not looking to rob or murder will obey that additional prohibition. The real bad guys won't even hesitate.

I want my grandson to grow up in a town where guns are not necessary"

Maybe she also wants him to grow up where food and oxygen aren't necessary. Once again, her stupidity places no obligation on me.

"I think I have the right to live in a protected environment where guns are not a factor"

She does have that right. She can go anywhere she likes, where she believes guns are not present and she "feels" protected. Maybe she could build a gigantic panic room and lock herself inside for the rest of her fearful, cowardly "life". She just doesn't have the right to make any other person live in her delusion with her.

The only way to see to it that "guns are not a factor" is to make them universally present. Otherwise they will ALWAYS be a factor.

But, obviously, she's not bright enough to figure that one out.