Monday, December 30, 2013

An Academic Argument

When Jim Irvine of Buckeye Firearms Association joined the "Roundtable" on Armed American Radio last night, he talked about his group's efforts to arm teachers in Ohio.

I've been approached by another activist, a teacher from Pennsylvania who is trying to get similar legislation passed there.

I have to confess mixed feelings on this. I believe we all have a right to keep and bear arms and that "gun free zones" are not just wrong, they're evil.  I oppose the idea of special classes of citizens being "granted privileges" -- just as I did when some in the gun community were stumping for nationwide carry for retired "Only Ones." You'll note that once they got their place at the table, the fact that the rest of us might like to pull up a seat but they were all taken was our problem. And, on a more fundamental level, I oppose "licensing" of a right.

I also have to acknowledge that under normal circumstances, the chances of getting existing legislation repealed so things become the way I want them is nonexistent. And this would save lives and provide a deterrent to something the antis would otherwise exploit to the detriment of us all.

Which practically guarantees the ones fighting this the loudest will be the education establishment... 

No comments: